I Introductions – 5 minutes
A: Welcome new people; indicate the session number
B: Formal introductions; in a circle, everyone projecting his/her voice
D: Optional: Parkinson medical news updates
II Exercises 8-10 minutes
1 Yoga related
- Deep, relaxing breaths with hands slowly carried overhead (inhale), and down (exhale); Repeat 3-5 times
- Neck exercises: Turn left, right, circular rotations; chin tuck (touching chest)
- “Pistol of Love” – weight on heels, hands forming pistol carried overhead, stretching toward ceiling while looking up at ceiling, done while leaning backwards. Repeat 2 times.
- “Pistol of Love” – formed this time behind back; arms down, stretching down. Repeat 2 times.
- Shake out hands; arms thrust forward
- Finger grips – with arms extended horizontally, fingers flexed
- Finger taps – thumb touching each finger, both hands simultaneously.
- Wrist rotation – with arms thrust forward in horizontal position, rotate wrists back and forth (abduction/adduction).
- Dual tasking; leader calls out lunges by the clock (e.g., 2 o’clock = right leg lunge forward at 45 degrees).
4 Torso twist (with or without ping pong paddles)
- lateral and medial rotations, 180 degrees, five times
5 “Ping Pong Pick-up”
- modified deep knee bends with support of one hand on one knee (alternating) as the opposite hand touches floor; reverse hands; 2 times
- Standing tree, airplane, Romberg – one foot lined up behind the other; eyes open, eyes closed; hold position (stance) for 3-5 seconds.
- Jumping jacks, knee lifts in place (touching elbow to knee while raising leg); straddles (back and forth laterally
8 Ping Pong Coordination exercises
- Bounce ball off racket 10 times, dominant and non-dominant hands.
- everse hits – 10 times while alternating hits on both sides of the racket
- Big bounce (high bounce) off racket and then allowing ball to stop bouncing while controlling racket.
- Walking while bouncing ball on racket.
III Ping Pong Demonstration
an instructional block, 3-5 minutes a different facet of table tennis demonstrated each week (e.g., forehand push, backhand topspin)
IV Main Ping Pong Session
approximately 45 minutes consisting of 3 or 4 rotations
- Singles tables, doubles, robot table, instructional table (one on one instruction for those Pongers starting out)
- Boxing bag – instructor calls out jab, cross or uppercut with left or right hand (a dual task activity)
- juggling (with an instructor), light weight lifting (with an instructor).